The descriptions include possible next start for each horse and a career summary of starts with results, total earnings and graded stake earnings with the rank amongst Derby contenders. Currently $120,000, which is up from last week’s number of $110,330, is required to make the top 20 of graded earnings.
1) Union Rags – Last week ranked 1. Career – 4:3-1-0 $858,800 (2nd $830,000). His workouts are starting to get serious with a 4F breeze in :48.67 at Palm Meadows on Feb. 6. Fountain of Youth (G2) Feb. 26.
2) Algorithms – Last week ranked 2. Career – 3: 3-3-0-0 $301,500 (9th $240,000) His win in the Holy Bull (G3) was fast and impressive and earned a 98 BSF and as a math teacher I love the name. Algorithm means “set of rules to be followed in calculations or other problem-solving operations”.
3) Out of Bounds – Last week ranked 5. Career – 3: 2-0-0, $89,700 (45th $60,000). He worked 5F in 1:03 at Hollywood Park on Feb. 6. The winner of the Sham (G3) got an impressive 99 BSF in his second start. San Felipe (G2) Mar. 10.
4) Creative Cause – Last week unranked – Career – 5: 3-1-1 $521,000 (5th $488,000). Creative Cause worked 6F on Feb. 4 in 1:13.80. As a two year-old he won the Norfolk (G1) at Santa Anita and the Best Pal (G2) at Del Mar. The Best Pal win looks even better after second place finisher I’ll Have Another ran away with the Lewis (G2) on Saturday.
5) I’ll Have Another – Last week unranked – Career – 4: 2-1-0 $184,000 (16th $151,000). The Flower Alley colt won the Lewis (G2) on Saturday with a wide sweeping move on the turn. He drew off in the stretch to an easy victory that earned a 96 BSF. Santa Anita Derby (G1) April 7.
6) El Padrino – Last week ranked 4. Career – 4: 2-1-1, $86,100 ($12,000). His name translates to “The Godfather”. He earned a 100 BSF in his allowance win at Gulfstream. This Pletcher runner will have no trouble getting the Derby distance. $0
7) Discreet Dancer – Last week ranked 7. Career – 2: 2-0-0, $57,500 ($0). He won his debut at Gulfstream as a two year-old, setting a new track record for 5.5 furlongs in 1:02.34. This Discreet Cat colt is another talented Pletcher trainee that has won both of his starts.
8) Alpha – Last week ranked 8 – Career – 5: 3-1-0 $300,000 (12th $180,000). The win in the Withers (G3) saw Alpha’s BSFs go from 85 to 90. Trainer McLaughlin will confer with the Godolphin leadership to decide if he goes next in the Gotham (G2) or the Wood Memorial (G1). If they decide to wait for the Wood then they will ship him to Florida to train at Palm Meadows.
9) Gemologist – Last week unranked – Career – 3:3-0-0 $145,855 (25th $103,855). Since Gemologist has recorded his first workout, :39.88 for 3F at Palm Meadows, I have put him into the rankings. The Pletcher trainee won the Kentucky Jockey Cup (G2) beating the Jonathan Sheppard horse, Ever So Lucky.
10) Hansen – Last week ranked 3. Career – 4: 3-1-0 $1,233,305 (1st $1,160,000). He dropped in my rankings as other horses have turned in impressive performances or have stepped up their training. I will give the champion two year-old and Breeders’ Cup Juvenile winner another chance after his second place finish in the Holy Bull. Fountain of Youth (G2) Feb. 26.